Ingredients for 4 people:
4 slices of albacore from 200 g each, 750 ml of tomato sauce, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ cup of dry white wine, a few mint leaf, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and chili pepper.
How to Make Albacore to ragù
Pour into a pan a little bit of oil and saute the chopped onion, chopped chili and garlic clove whole.
Just take a slight golden brown, stir in the tomato sauce, a teaspoon of sugar, salt, and pepper.
Leave to cook, for about twenty minutes, a low heat in a pan partially draped.
Remove, then, the garlic.
In the meantime, wash the slices of albacore, dry well and rub them carefully over with the sage leaves and a clove of crushed garlic.
Slices without any, first from one side and then on the other hand, in a frying pan with a little oil.
Simmer with white wine and let it evaporate.
Let cook the albacore only for a few minutes, so that the fish remains soft.
Soak the slices in a tomato sauce, add a ladle of water and continue cooking on low heat for another 10 minutes.
Just before you turn off, smear the fish a little bit of chopped mint.
- The Albacore (Thunnus alalunga) is a pelagic fish that is part of the family Sgombridae, to which it belongs also the tuna.
For this reason, often is called a “white tuna”.
- In Sicilian dialect is called “alalonga”.
- It has a long body and fusiform, covered with scales, which, in the oceans, can reach and exceed one meter in length.
Specimens living in large flocks in the Mediterranean have, however, a length that does not exceed 80 centimeters.
- The back is blue color dark, while sides and belly have a white-silver.
- It is a fish found in all the italian seas.
Its presence is, however, rare in the Adriatic Sea.
- Fishing is, instead, very abundant in the Straits of Messina, around the Aeolian islands, and in the Channel d’Otranto.
The sauce is an excellent condiment for pasta, especially if you are chewed in its interior a little fish.
Therefore, if you decide to dress the pasta with the fish, it is recommended that you cook over a greater amount of albacore.
Albacore to ragù is a classic sicilian recipe.
The italian name of the Albacore to ragù is Alalunga al ragù.
*We apologize for possible translation mistakes.*