SICILIAN PESTO RECIPE
Ingredients for 4 people:
100 gr of sundried tomatoes,
20 gr of basil leaves,
1 tablespoon of tomato paste,
50 gr of grate pecorino (without pepper),
1 clove of garlic,
Chili pepper (powder).
How to Make Sicilian pesto
Leave the sundried tomatoes in warm water for 2 hours. When the time is gone, dry and chopped them.
Wash, dry and chopped the basil.
Peel the onion, wash it and dry it. Cut it in an half and and remove the core.
Chop it up (finely) with a sharp knife and then use a mortar to make a mush.
Add salt, pepper, few basil leaves and some sundried tomatoes.
Keep crushing all the ingredients and mix them in a turning movement.
Keep adding the remaining ingredients.
Once we get a creamy mixture, add some Parmesan, pecorino, a spoon of tomatoes paste and mixt it with a palette knife.
At the very end drizzle in some olive oil.
- This type of pesto is very popular in Sicily.
- According to the area, there is different way to make it. This is one of the most popular.
- Some use do add 50 gr of almond and 100 gr of double cream.
- This type of pesto is recommended for pasta or bruschetta.
- If the sauce seems to thick, add some spoons cooking water.
- Instead of the mortar you can use the blender to mix the ingredients but taste wise, it’s advised to use the first procedure;
- If you decide to use the blender, it’s recommended to mix all the ingredients at once, turning on the blender for few seconds, intermittently. This to avoid to overheat the blender giving a bad taste to the sauce
The italian name of the Sicilian pesto is Pesto siciliano.